That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Awana with Pastor Larry

And then there were three. The JV class went from a duo to a trio. No, I'm not talking about Pastor Larry, just yet. Praise God, we have a new addition. Her name is Nicole. Her younger brother is in the Truth & Training, and she seems to really enjoy Awana, especially the JV'ers. That's the nice thing about Awana. It brings people together from outside our little church. I know her brother is saved, but I'm not quite certain about her. Tonight was only her 2nd time with the JV class. So it's now Ram, Ashley and Nicole.

I really wanted a "man" to come and speak to the class. Ram and Ashley first suggested Brian, but since he has to work on friday nights, they immediately shouted PASTOR LARRY, PASTOR LARRY!!!!!!

And just like that, Pastor Larry came to speak to the JV class tonight. I warned him that we also wanted to put him "on the hot seat" and shoot questions at him. He didn't seem to mind. Ram describes Pastor Larry as a pop tart, hard on the outside, but soft on the inside. Don't ask, I told him not to compare him to a pop tart, besides the point that pop tarts aren't really that hard on the outside...teenagers.

Pastor gave them a really sweet and encouraging message. He filled it with many examples from young people from the Bible, but he also gave it a personal touch. Ashley and Nicole were shy to shoot questions at him, so Ram did not hesitate.

- How did you become a preacher?
- What was the hardest time of your life?
- How did you meet Mrs. Judi?

Those were the only three questions. Each one the answers turned out to be a mini-preaching to the class.
It was just so sweet listening to every word he had to say. Even I was fed by every word he uttered. I saw my Pastor in a different light, I just love him so much, I wish he knew. We all love like a Father.

Fridays are so great. My best friend was in Ohio for the past 2 weeks. Her sister (my best friend #2) had her first baby, so she went down to visit her. Since we missed each other so much, we went out to Tim Hortons after Awana. I hate staying out late, but I really missed talking to her. Now for anybody that has not been to Canada, Tim Hortons is kinda like Dunkin Donuts, but miles better! It is the best coffee in the world. I didn't like coffee until I met Timmy. It's much cheaper than the other coffee places (starbucks) and way better. They even have a few Tim Hortons' in the US now. BEWARE!

I was so happy that Pastor Larry came to the JV class that we ended up discussing just how great He is, and how blessed we are to have good people at our church.

So that's what punks do.....

Just after 11p.m. (I was sleepy, I'm really not a late nighter) we were ready to head back home when about 15 teenage punker dudes walked into Timmies. They were probably around the ages of 13, maybe 15. I wished they were part of the JV class, where they could learn about the Lord.

I turned around to Virginia (to all my readers, I have 2 Virginias one at the office, and the other, my best friend from Church), and said, oh, so that's what punkers do. I guess even they like Tim Hortons Coffee.

Oh we're so dumb.....Virg and I did not leave a tract anywhere. Told you I'm out early. During the week, I'm always in bed at 11, sometimes I try earlier, fridays, midnight maximum, and saturdays 11:30, maximum. The earlier I can sleep, the happier I am.

This is past midnight, I really should head to my favorite place, Dreamland. Hope to meet you all there!

7 Comments:

  • At Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:14:00 AM, Blogger Consecrated said…

    Ummmm. Did I hear someone just say
    "The earlier I sleep, the happier I am." All right. I shall remember that next time I see the lights on after midnight.

     
  • At Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:29:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Haha

    Have I changed or what?

     
  • At Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Sorry, what does JV stand for?

     
  • At Saturday, March 25, 2006 6:30:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    JV stands for Junior Varsity.

    It's an America schooling system, so I myself am not all that familiar with it. Carey can clear that up for us.

    It's basically teenagers, ages 12 and 13. Those are the two years after grade school, right before high school.

    You see in Quebec (not Ontario), we go straight to high school after grade school. So no jv over here...

    That is confusing.

     
  • At Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:33:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Right. Thanks.

     
  • At Sunday, March 26, 2006 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Carey said…

    Yeah. My kids are 12-14. I didn't know you skipped jounior high altogether in Canada. That's interesting.

    Teenagers are so funny. (Although I shouldn't say much because I am technically still a teenager. It's weird for me because I grew up quickly and am an old 18.)

    That's great you got your pastor to come talk to the kids. I'd love to be able to do that for my kids. We have to combine JV and Varsity for lesson time, because there are so few male leaders. My friend Lindy and I are the only JV leaders. Lindy is such a blessing to me. She's helping partly becuase her two girls are in JV.

    I keep praying that the Lord would bring along another male leader for our JV kids. Lack of male leadership really frustrates me because I have it (or have not) in my family, so it frustrates me for the children that there are not more godly men there to disciple and lead. This is another soap box of mine.

     
  • At Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:29:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Actually Carey, only in Quebec! Ontario is like the US. I'm not sure about Western Canada. But Quebec always does things differently.

    After grade school (grade 6), you jump to highschool, which is five years.

    That is too bad that you have so few male leaders. We did have that problem too at our previous church, so I know just how frustrating that is.

    Our problem with Awana right now, in this church, is confusion. It's only our second year having the program. We don't have that many leaders to begin with and add to it, that many people are not familiar with the program.

    And yet, God's hand is in it. It's growing really fast and the kids just love Awana!

    Actually, you know what would be great, if our JV did something with your JV!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home