That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Monday, March 20, 2006

The Whole Duty of Man

Pastor Larry preached on the Fear of God yesterday morning. It was very nice.

He read the following verse:

~Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

Two Saturdays ago, while tract passing at the metro, a lady asked me what is the duty of the Church. I gave her Matthew 16:15. Our commandment is to "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature". I didn't want to get too doctrinal for fear of messing myself up and saying something wrong or just unecessary.

I'm not too certain she understood what I meant. Only a believer perceives the importance of winning souls to Christ. Had I known this passage in Ecclesiastes, I would have read that to her also. The whole duty of man is to Fear God and to keep his commandments.

What are his commandments? To go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature! I know the Lord Jesus also commanded us to love one another as He loved us. (John 13:34)

But really, her question should have been "what is MY duty before God?"

We also as believers should ponder that question and ought to Fear the Lord with all our heart and keep His commandments.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home