That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Monday, March 12, 2007

The sin of ceasing to pray for others

Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you. 1 Samuel 12:23

What an amazing statement! This quote is from Samuel as he was giving up his position as judge over Israel, now that the people rejected God’s reign. Of course, we know that King Saul had been anointed and confirmed as ruler over Israel, as per the people’s request.

Samuel's words are interesting: he considers failing to pray for others to be a SIN before God. Most of the time, we would consider failing to pray for others to be a slip-up when we get too busy. Our attitude towards prayer means that prayer is the first thing dropped when we are pressed for time, but suddenly remembered when we are desperate. Samuel had lived his entire life with God, and his attitude towards prayer is much more serious; failing it was a sin in his eyes.

"Pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:1) is what the New Testament says, but how often do we miss the importance that people such as Samuel and, more significantly, our Lord put on prayer.

While we may not be called to lead a nation, keeping Samuel's seriousness about prayer for others is a good idea. That verse in Samuel has really struck a chore with me, needless to say, I have let down many people by ceasing to pray for them, and may have even sinned before God.

Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. Psalm 119:9

11 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:06:00 AM, Blogger Genesis 3:15 said…

    why is it that you keep trying to make me feel guilty? :)

    --joe

     
  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:58:00 AM, Blogger Corry said…

    Thanks for this reminder.
    I often want to pray for others, but then forget. So, what I do nowadays is say a prayer right away, each time I think of them or see the need. Even though it's a quick prayer, I know God hears every one of them! :-)

    Have a blessed day!

    God's Grace.

     
  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:07:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Hey Joe. That wasn't my intention. I just read that verse and felt guilty. Guess you and I will be praying for each other a lot more. hihi :)

    Hi Corry,
    That is a great idea. I might just start doing that also. Thanks!!

     
  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:41:00 PM, Blogger Genesis 3:15 said…

    (sung to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands")

    If you're guilty and you know it clap your hands

    If you're guilty and you know it clap your hands

    If you're guilty and you know it, should you really want to show it, if you're guilty and you know it,
    clap your hands.

    (In this case, "clap your hands" is a reference to putting hands together to pray)

    joe

     
  • At Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:59:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    I am so encouraged by all the people who have prayed for me.

     
  • At Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Joe, you're funny.

    Matthew, prayers were lifted up for you across the world!

     
  • At Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen.

    So much more could get done today, if we would take the time to pray.

     
  • At Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:48:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Very true, Bryan. It's not only that. For some reason, I just dropped praying for certain people, like my own father, who probably needs the most prayers out of me. If I want results, I have to pray!

     
  • At Friday, March 16, 2007 7:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know. I tend to leave off praying for some folks myself. My dad is lost, and my mom may be too. I haven't seriously sought the Lord about them in years...and I left off trying to witness to them along time ago also.

    I am ashamed of that. I think the problem was, when I tried to witness to them before, I tried to do it without God. One old preacher used to say that we should talk to God about others before we talk to others about God.

    Thanks for posting this...and thanks even more for the comment you made to my reply. I intend to make it a point to start praying for my parents again, as well as some others. I couldn't live with myself if they died without me even trying to do something to get them to Jesus Christ.

     
  • At Friday, March 16, 2007 12:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful post on praying for others. There are so many that need prayer. I know I am one of them. Thanks for the challenge to pray for our relatives. I have some who do not know Christ.

     
  • At Friday, March 16, 2007 4:06:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Hi Bryan,

    Likewise, thank you for your reply. Will keep your parents in prayer. I really like the way that "old" preahcer put it. How true!

    Hi Amy, thank you for your comment. I have really been enjoying your blog lately.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home