That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Thursday, February 08, 2007

A closer walk with God

I believe most of you are familiar with the Hymn Just a closer walk with Thee. That is what I have been craving for these past few days. A stronger, more sincere and intimate walk with my Savior is what my soul is longing for.

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Whenever I think of that Hymn, my thoughts often turn to King David. There are several Bible passages which prove that David lived that day-by-day walk with Almighty God. I just love David. So what if he fell short of the glory of God, who hasn’t (Rom 3:23). David's heart was right with God and I love that he thirsted for righteousness. I believe he was a man that had a sincere longing for the Lord and thus, maintained a daily walk with Him.

First of all, he prayed daily:

~Psa 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.

Secondly, he meditated in God’s word daily:

~Psa 119:97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Thirdly, David realized the benefits of God’s daily blessings:

~Psa 68:19 Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.

And fourthly, He praised God daily:

~Psa 72:15 And he shall live, and to him shall be given of the gold of Sheba: prayer also shall be made for him continually; and daily shall he be praised.

With these simple tasks alone, David equipped himself to meet his day. The second verse of “Just a closer walk with thee” is as follows:

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.


David learned to daily rely on the Lord, and to rely on Him alone. Even though David had his share of “snares” in his life, he learned that the only person in this world who truly cares is the Lord. None but Thee, as in the Hymn.

The last verse of the Hymn talks about when this day-by-day life is over:

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.


Until then, may we all learn to walk just a closer walk with God. Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

7 Comments:

  • At Friday, February 09, 2007 8:28:00 AM, Blogger Father's Grace Ministries said…

    I love this hymn too-especially George Beverley Shea's recording. It really draws me to want to enjoy deeper intimacy with Jesus
    Claire

     
  • At Friday, February 09, 2007 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Leonard Teo said…

    How bizarre... I was singing this song just yesterday and now I read about it here. I love this song.

    As you say, walking closely with God daily is something we should all strive to do. Thanks for the reminder!

    In Christ,

    Leonard

     
  • At Friday, February 09, 2007 5:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent comments, sister! It truly is amazing just how SIMPLE God has made it for us to have close fellowship with him. I think that I've missed it many times in my life because I've tried to make it all so complicated...instead of just walking with the Lord day by day. Like so many of God's children, I've often found myself seeking some "big" thing to do, instead of just walking humbly with my God throughout the day.

    ALL ministry is born out of deep communion with God. I've learned that. Also, I've learned that we can't develop a relationship with God by doing things for him....we must let our "doing" be the result of the relationship we have with him.

    I appreciate the post! Thank you, and I pray God blesses you and your efforts to serve him daily!

     
  • At Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Hi Claire, thank you for your comment. It's always nice to see you here! :)

    Hi Leonard. Guess you are also longing for a closer walk with the Lord. I appreciate you stopping by my blog!!

    Bryan, thank you. Your writings have always been such an encouragement to me. My blog is called "That I may know HIM", and you've helped me get to know my Saviour better. The more I know Him, the closer I want to draw to Him.

     
  • At Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

     
  • At Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

     
  • At Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home