That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Thursday, April 27, 2006

What's wrong with being zealous for my God?

We have been criticized a few times for having too much Zeal for the Lord, by Christians! Oh you zealouts! And may I ask, what's so wrong with that.

One of my favorite stories in the Old Testament is found in Numbers 25.

And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand; And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel. ~ Numbers 25:6-8

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous for my sake among them, that I consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy. Wherefore say, Behold, I give unto him my covenant of peace: And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel. ~Numbers 10-13

One man's zeal turned God's wrath away from his children. How much more an entire people zealous for the Lord their God! So again, I ask, what's so wrong with being zealous for my King?

6 Comments:

  • At Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:59:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Nothing is wrong with being zealous. I think we have far too little zeal. Why do Christians condemn the zealous? Are they afraid that the zealous one will give Christians a bad image? Are they afraid of looking bad (that their lack of zeal would be revealed, that is) by comparison?

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 4:36:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Yes, let us be more zealous.

    But we must also be patient, kind and gracious too.

    God Bless

    Matthew

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Consecrated said…

    I opened my Bible on the train this morning, and because I had done my regular Bible reading at home,I decided to read the Proverbs of the day. The first verse that jumped at me was the following:

    Proverbs 28:1 ...: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

     
  • At Friday, April 28, 2006 12:30:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Good point Angie.

    Thanks, Matthew, and yes you are right that we have to be patient, kind and gracious too.

    But here's what I don't get. I expect to be reporached for my love to the Lord from lost people, but believers?

    Thanks, Concecrated. Bold as a lion, I like that. I haven't done my Proverbs of the day for a while, but since Monday is the first of May, I think I would like to get started with that again.

     
  • At Saturday, April 29, 2006 9:52:00 PM, Blogger Carey said…

    Zealous people make the luke-warm feel uncomfortable. They don't like their comfort zones upset -- even other Christians. I had that happen today. (Will post)

     
  • At Saturday, April 29, 2006 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Maybe that's what it is. It's unfortunate though.

    Will certainly read your post!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home