That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Thursday, December 21, 2006

I can do all things…through Christ!

~I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

If you just read the first part of this verse, it may sound an alarm indicating arrogance: "I can do all things." Yes, this was the spirit that attempted to build the tower of Babel. This was the downfall of mighty men like Saul and the Egyptian Pharaoh. Unfortunately, that same spirit still lingers as many today are consumed by a false belief that they do not need God. They make the same claim: "I can do all things.

But the next two words in the verse take this out of the context of arrogance altogether. It is not a boast of self: "I can do all things"; but rather, I can do all things through Christ! There is a huge difference there. Arrogance is declaring "I can do all things”, but confession is "I can do all things through Christ."

To fully grasp this verse, one must stop and think about what he/she couldn't do without Christ. We could not effectively and thoroughly know our lost condition. Without Him, we could not have an adequate concept of God. Without Him, we could not overcome sin. Without Him, we would all be victims of the wrath to come. And without Him, we could not obtain eternal life. Jesus said to His disciples "without me ye can do nothing" (John. 15:5). Ephesians 2:12 teaches that outside Jesus Christ we have "no hope".

But through Christ and through our relationship of active faith in Him we find true inner strength! Strength to adequately evaluate ourselves. Strength to know the difference between right and wrong, that is, by faithfully applying His Word. Strength that comes through the remission of our sins.

And something that I have been beautifully experiencing all year, I have found inner strength in response to prayer I offer to God through Him. Truly, without Christ, I can do nothing.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home