That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Behold, I come quickly

Exo 32:1 And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

A very familiar story. Moses and Joshua went up to Mount Sinai to receive the ten commandments of the Lord. But Moses delayed and the Israelites soon forgot the God that brought them out of land of Egypt and made their own god to worship. They sinned greatly against the Lord.

Exodus 32:17 And when Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said unto Moses, There is a noise of war in the camp.

Exo 32:19 And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount.
Exo 32:20 And he took the calf which they had made, and burnt it in the fire, and ground it to powder, and strawed it upon the water, and made the children of Israel drink of it.

Believers, just like the Israelites waited for Moses' return, we patiently and anxiously await the rerurn of our Saviour, Jesus Christ. And though it often seems dim and we lose eyesight, let not the devil sow seed of doubt. King Jesus is on his way.

Rev 22:7 Behold, I come quickly.

Christians, let us not be like the Israelites, whom when Moses delayed (or so the people murmured) forsook their God and worshipped their own workmanship, an idol. Let us never forsake Christ thinking He delays. Let not King Jesus come down only to hear what seems to be the noise of war in the camp, but let Him hear His people lifting up their voice to Heaven in prayer, supplication and Praise.

Christ does not delay! Behold, I come quickly.

1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

Take courage, and keep serving King Jesus, forsake not your God to go after wicked idols as do lost people, lest Christ comes and His wrath kindles up against you.

Rev 22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

6 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Carey said…

    "...behold, I come quickly; and My reward is with Me, to give every man according as his work shall be."

    Wow... that's an incentive. Although, I like the well-done-faithful-servant incentive better. But that is a thought-provoking statement. To give every man according as his work shall be...

     
  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:02:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Great post, Sarah.

    It is vitally important to bear that teaching in mind, Carey. When Christ returns we will come before the judgment seat of Christ to receive the rewards for our works.

    Will be rewarded or will we face rebuke like the man who hid his talent in his hankerchief?

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

     
  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Yeh, that is incentive Carey!

    Thanks, Matthew. I think Rev. 22:12 is one of my many favorite verses. At times, though, I feel lousy and don't exactly look forward to the judgment seat of Christ.

    I cannot bear the thought that we will stand before a Holy and Righteous Judge....

     
  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:34:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    I was struck by Exodus 32:1 not so very long ago. God has just given them the law, in which He states, "I am the LORD your God who brought you out of Egypt" (my paraphrase). Moses heads back up the mountain and almost immediately the forgot the preface of God's message to them. They refer to Moses as "the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt," giving man credit for what God has done. Aaron (the high priest - one would think that he, of all Israelites, would have known better) then sets up the golden calf and says, "This is your god who brought you out of the land of Egpyt" (my paraphrase again). It is a short step from attributing the work of God to something He created to attributing what God has done to something that man has created. What impressed me about it is how quickly we forget what God has done for us.

    2 Peter 1:12-15:
    Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth. Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me. Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.

    Why is Peter so keen on reminding them (us) again and again of these things? In verses 8 and 9, just before that he writes, "For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins." We are in danger of forgetting, and when we forget we do not live our lives for the glory of Him who set us free.

     
  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:40:00 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Excellent point, Angie.

     
  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:42:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    That has struck me also, Angie, but that's an excellent point.

    I never related it to 2 Peter 1:12-15. That's great! Thanks, Angie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home