That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Friday, September 22, 2006

AWANA Night

Last Friday was the opening night of Awana for the 2006-2007 season, but it was more like an “orientation day”. Tonight was the real thing. Once again, I have the blessing of teaching the JV, and this year it’s going to be even better…it’s all girls!

I was certain that Nicole would not return to Awana this year, and same goes for Ashley. But not so, they are both coming, and out of their own free will! I have four girls in all. Ashley (14), Amanda (12), Adriana (12) and Nicole (14). Ashley and Amanda are saved, but Adriana and Nicole are not. I am earnestly praying that the Lord would bring them to salvation before the end of the year, and that He would strengthen Ashley and Amanda’s walk with Him.

Tonight, we studied one of my favorite Bible verses for our lesson.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

We had an in depth look at how the Word of God is like an x-ray of our heart. More than just a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart, the Word of God:

Is a fire and a hammer:

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Is a lamp and a light:

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Is a mirror:

For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. James 1:23-25

Leads people to eternal life:

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31

Since all our lessons are backed up by Bible verses, it is crucial for the girls to develop a thirst and hunger for God’s Word, hence the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a good thing, even for me, since I can learn a lot just by teaching, and it brings joy to my heart to minister to these young girls. I had a wonderful time tonight and I am looking forward for the rest of the Awana year.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home