That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Meet my Boss

Greetings to all!

You probably already know that I work at a law firm. Nothing too fancy, just a legal secretary. I assist with the litigation department and have been there for just over a year now. The Lord has truly blessed me and I give Him all thanks and Praise for all that He's provided me with, for truly I am not worthy of His grace.

It's isn't a big law office, we only have 10 lawyers, one law student, one stagiaire (intern), 2 girls in the corporate department, 5 secretaries, one office manager and one receptionist. The "head" of our litigation department, and therefore my boss, Jeffrey, is one that I just cannot figure out.

He's very good to me, to all the girls and to the other lawyers. He is, however, quite the educated fellow. He's a very well established lawyer (a partner at our firm), not only on the Quebec Bar, but also with the Ontario Bar. He's an author and He also acts as an arbitrator. We all see Him making it as a judge some day. (Plus his wife is also a lawyer and a partner at her firm). He esteems education very highly. As nice as he is, he's a little bit of a snob!

Last year, after the easter weekend, I found an easter chocolate bunny on my chair. I was very pleased! Once I figured out it was from Jeffrey, I went into his office to thank Him. This is how it started.

"I'm glad you like it, I was a little bit afraid for I'd heard you were religious", he said. Now don't ask me how, but the Lord put the right words in my mouth that day. I was so nervous as I explained to Him what I stand for, and as tried to share the gospel. My cheeks felt very red (I get red cheeks and feeverish when I'm extremely nervous, or tired). I even felt faint and as though my knees were about to give out on me. That was a first. I could not believe that God gave me an opportunity to witness to my boss. He's not just any kind of boss, he's really intimidating.

About a month later, I had another open door. It was a tiresome day at work and I was hoping not to work overtime. But of course I did. For Jeffrey, of course. I had to finish a letter and fax it. It was a long distance fax and it was just not going through, I was getting frustrated. 15 minutes later, I figured out I was dialing the wrong number. Ooops! As I went to wish Jeffrey good night, he asks me about my church. (Every monday he asks how was church, which I appreciate). That day, I got to give him a tract. I went from being frustrated, to praising the Lord. Now, here's what you have to know, when Jeff asks me about churhc I never know if he's teasing me, or if he's actually interested to find out. He's a bit sneaky!

Last May, we were having a Bible conference at our church, and when Jeff asked what that is, I did my best to explain. I told him we have a Pastor form the US and a bunch of people from the states that come up, kinda like a big gathering. I also told him that I had gone to Toledo, Ohio for a Bible conference there and had a blast. TOLEDO, OHIOOOOOOOOOOOOO. He screamed, who goes there for vacation? Ever since, he NEVER dropped the Ohio Act. Here's the weird thing, he's actually funny!!!!!!!

Once I had to open a file for a client living in I don't know where (weird city in Quebec), he asked me if I knew where that is. NO. "Well it's nowhere near Ohio!" he said. And it's been like that ever since. Yes, I know it's funny. But it's like that every day. Today for instance, we have a client by the name of Henri, but his e-mail address reads Hank something @. I asked Jeffrey why Hank and not Henri "well, ask you Ohio friends". I finally understood that it's a nickname, like Robert is Bob, and William is Bill, etc.

As irritating as his remarks can be about Ohio, my going to church on sundays, wednesdays and fridays, and that I actually read the Bible, I feel the Lord has blessed me with an open door with Jeffrey.

All this to ask you fellow readers and friends for some prayer as I try and witness to him. I believe that if he's asking so much, maybe it is because the Lord is working in his heart!

10 Comments:

  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:07:00 PM, Blogger Consecrated said…

    Educated and snobbish, you said.
    May your life shine as you continue to witness.

    For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

    1 Corinthians 1:19
    For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.


    1 Corinthians 1:20
    Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

     
  • At Thursday, March 02, 2006 11:00:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Thanks, that is very encouraging, and thank you for your prayers too.

    Nex time he really gets on case, I will quote him these verses..hihi, just kidding.

     
  • At Friday, March 03, 2006 3:57:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    It must be very interesting to work in a law firm.

    I applied for so many jobs in law firms, but always got rejected. I think I only ever had one interview. They must have been put off by the fact I was a part-time law student.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

     
  • At Friday, March 03, 2006 8:59:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    It's their loss!

    Did you finish your law degree? Would like to purue it and work as a lawyer? Hey, if you open up your own law firm, I'm for hire as assistant!

    I really enjoy my work. It's hard work, but it's fun, really interesting and I find it rewarding. However, there is nothing more rewarding than the Lord's work.

    Thanks for coming my way, Matthew.

    God bless,
    Sarah

     
  • At Friday, March 03, 2006 4:36:00 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Sarah, I did complete my Postgrad Diploma in Law. There were certainly times when I felt like givng up. If I wanted to become a lawyer I would need to do more training pretty soon.

    I think studying law was a big mistake on my part and lead to my wasting a couple of years. I had finished my theology degree and was sick of academia. I wanted to do something outside of theology.

    However, I just do not think that was me. It was not a good period of my life, particularly because I got into a dead-end engagement to an unsuitable girl.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

     
  • At Friday, March 03, 2006 8:39:00 PM, Blogger Carey said…

    What are you going to do after you finish your doctorate? (And then we can call you Dr. C!)

     
  • At Friday, March 03, 2006 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Carey, thanks for coming my way.
    I don't think I told you this, but I love your picture. How did you get it from that angle?

    Matthew, we learn a lot from our good and bad decisions in our life. Aren't you glad the Lord put an en to it at the right time.

    I admit I don't know you very well, however, I can just see you in God's ministry. Well at least, your "blogging ministry" is doing quite well!

    I'll be sure to keep in you in prayer.

     
  • At Friday, March 03, 2006 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    "I'll be sure to keep in you in prayer."

    Hahahaha, what I meant is, I'll be sure to keep you in prayer". sorry for the confusion. I think I do so much typing during the day, that when I come home I make so many typos. Me and my typos, a never ending saga!

     
  • At Saturday, March 04, 2006 7:57:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Sarah, thanks.

    My plans are to teach and research in a university.

    Perhaps God might have some full-time ministry for me. My Brethren-style view of ministry would prevent me from being a 'pastor' as that role is understood in most churches.

    I know God's plans for me are good.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matt

     
  • At Saturday, March 04, 2006 9:46:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    yes, they are Matthew.

    All we have to do is be still and know that He is God.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home