That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Not that we loved Him

I have read 1 John countless times, but today the Lord made me stop and think at verse 10 of chapter 4.

~1 John 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Never do I recall meditating on "not that we loved God". In all honesty, I cannot say that I ever hated the Lord. I have always had a thirst and love for Him, being that I was raised by a Godly mother, for which I am most thankful. On the flip side, I have disobeyed the Lord many a-times before, and unfortunately, still do. I have come to admit that repetitive disobedience is NOT love.

~John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

~John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Not that I loved God. How true, I never loved the Lord enough to do as He did. He sacrificed His only and begotten Son to be the atoning sacrifice for my sins; I, the recipient of such Grace, who so often disobeys and betrays the Word of God.

Actions really do speak louder than words, and the Lord, He proved His love by doing something that I don’t believe our human minds will ever fully comprehend what truly took place on the cross of Calvary.

But that’s just it, we may not have loved Him, but He loved us. John 3:16 – Herein is love.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home