That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Consider my servant


I’m back reading in the Old Testament. I took a little break for a while and only concentrated on the epistles. Last night, I picked up where I had left off in the OT, and I’m now reading from the book of Job.

Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

Job 2:3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

That is quite high on the pedestal. We often give each other complements here and there, but to have the LORD speak and think thus of his servant Job is flooring. It is God who first brings up Job, not satan. The Lord gloried in His servant Job.

Wow, to have the Lord speak thus to satan concerning His servant. To have the almighy God speak "consider my servant"!!! Those are big shoes to fill, perfect, upright, fearing God and eschewing evil. Ok, so I had no clue what to eschew evil is and had to look it up. To eschew is to escape.

I know that this discussion between God and satan will soon bring up much hardship to Job, but only to avail. In the end, Job endures, God gets the glory and satan is defeated yet once more!

The closer our walk is with Christ, the more sanctified and righteous we become, the more satan wants to bring us down and snatch us away form our God. I think a "modern-day Job" could really sing the hymn "It is well with my soul" with all heart.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll; whatever my lot,
thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
it is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
let this blest assurance control,
that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and hath shed his own blood for my soul. (Refrain)

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul! (Refrain)

And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
the trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
even so, it is well with my soul. (Refrain)

I really delight in reading Job and for someone who loves history, it’s all the more enjoyable since the book of Job is the oldest book in the Bible. Those are my rambling thoughts for tonight, I shall now revert to my Bible reading and will soon go to sleep!

9 Comments:

  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Job is a very interesting book, certainly. My pastor has been going through Job for several weeks now on Sunday mornings.

    I really like that hymn! :)

     
  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:38:00 AM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Yes, it would be wonderful to be so praised by the Lord.

     
  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    I would like to read a Bible commentary on Job. So many books to read, so little time!!

    It's amazing when the Lord says "there is none like him in the earth" concerning Job. WOW!

     
  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:17:00 PM, Blogger Revelation 2:17 said…

    Ruckman says that

    "the book of Job is a picture of God's Son in humiliation, Israel in the tribulation, an unsaved man in hell, and revelation of the Antichrist, in addition to the moral and devotional material lying on the surface"

     
  • At Thursday, June 08, 2006 9:57:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Is this in his commentary to Job? We have it here at home, so I guess I should dig my nails in it.

    The book of Job is very mysterious and filled with lots of hidden information. I have been asking God which book I should read next. It may be timely for me to read Ruckman’s commentary on Job.

    Thanks, Revelation!

     
  • At Friday, June 09, 2006 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Consecrated said…

    You find more details about the creation in the book of Job than you find in Genesis.

     
  • At Friday, June 09, 2006 12:12:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    um, very true.

    Job knew that the earth is round long before Galileo and the other scientists of his time.

     
  • At Friday, June 09, 2006 12:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In our Sunday School class we listened to the audio cd of this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/sitbv3/reader/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-4978009-0867002?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=158134399X

    It is not a commentary. It is a poem about what it must have been like. Of course, some artistic liberties are taken, but I don't think it compromises the message of Job. It was EXCELLENT.

     
  • At Friday, June 09, 2006 6:33:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Hi Shieryl,

    Thanks for sharing that. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home