That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Amazing Grace


This is very interesting. This site gives the history behind the famous Hymn, Amazing Grace.


http://www.answers.com/topic/amazing-grace

4 Comments:

  • At Monday, June 12, 2006 2:15:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Was Harriet Beecher Stowe really the first to add the last stanza to the hymn? She wrote some of her own hymns and her brothers were not uninvolved in the hymnody of the day, so I suppose it is possible that she recognized two songs of the same meter and combined the two. Uncle Tom's Cabin is not the first place I would look for such a thing, however. Interesting.

     
  • At Monday, June 12, 2006 8:08:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    I thought it was interesting too, Angie. I didn't know that there were that many different stanzas to it, that was new to me.

    I don't know about that last stanza, but that is the one we have in our hymn books. We sing the first three and that last one.

     
  • At Monday, June 12, 2006 8:19:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    I am familiar with the first four and the last, but I think the fourth does not often show up in the hymnals.

     
  • At Monday, June 12, 2006 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    I love the lyrics though! This is one hymn that's very nice when it's sung a cappella.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home