That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Why did Jesus weep?

The story of Lazarus is a familiar one. Pastor Larry even preached this past Sunday a sweet message on the tears of Jesus, and read this particular passage.

However, a few years ago, my Sunday school teacher brought up an interesting idea that has stayed with me. Why did Jesus really weep? Was it over the death of a friend? I'm not so certain about that.

Joh 11:3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick. Joh 11:4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

My Sunday school teacher suggested that Jesus most likely wept when he saw the tears of Mary, and of the Jews also weeping. I believe it broke His heart when Mary came to Him weeping and telling Him that if He had been there, her brother wouldn't have died.

Joh 11:32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
Joh 11:33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, Joh 11:34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Joh 11:35 Jesus wept.

When He saw Mary's tears, he too shed many of his own. He groaned in the Spirit and was troubled. He was hurt. This touches my heart deeply.

I truly believe that the Lord Jesus wept when He saw the tears of Mary. This teaches me to always bring my tears to the Lord, because He too weeps over my hurt.

Our tears are precious to God.

Psa 56:8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home