That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It happens every week

Fact. The devil wants to keep us away from church, from christian fellowship, and ultimately, from the Lord.

Wednesday evening is prayer meeting at church, and Friday night is Awana night. Those are the only two days out of the week that I must leave work on time in order to make it to church. You guessed it, they just happen to also be the busiest days of the week where it's a struggle to leave at 5 p.m. Awana is now over for the summer and will resume this coming September. I'm just curious to see how smooth this Friday will go.

I love having the prayer service on a Wednesday night, it's a breath of fresh air during the middle of the week. Unless I have a legitimate reason (such as a serious illness) I will not let fatigue, or whatever else dumb reason, get the best of me, such as I did last Wednesday, due to work. I am gald I made it tonight, even though it was a struggle, it was worth it all.

Point. Church was wonderful.

Psa 5:7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.

6 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:59:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    I understand what you mean. I fell asleep last Wednesday evening and slept right through church.

    It does make me wonder what kind of commute you have or what time church starts that would make you have to leave work right at 5:00 to make it to church. Must not be fun!

    It is interesting that your Awana is on a Friday night. Very interesting. I can see some good reasons for it. I am used to churches that have prayer meetings and Awana at the same time, but then my church in CA had prayer meetings several days of the week.

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:46:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Hey Angie,

    I work downtown Montreal, so I commute via train. That is why I have to leave work on time. Like that I come home and have about 15-20 mins before heading out the door for church.

    I think you're church in CA is probably very big. Ours isn't it, it's not small either though. This and prayer meeting is the least attended service, I cannot imagine having several ones during the week!

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:47:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    oops, I think "your" not "you're church :)

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:45:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    The church now has about 1000 people, although I was going there when it had 200 many years ago. The prayer meetings are never particularly well attended, regardless of when they meet. I had church ministry stuff three nights per week (leading a small group, choir, worship team), so I was busy enough that the only one I could have gone to was the one that met at 6:00 am once a week. To be quite honest about the only time I ever went to prayer meetings was when they had special prayer days - they had time slots that covered 24 hours and people signed up for a time and went to pray so that there were always at least three people at the church praying at all times. Most prayer happens among the various small groups that meet in homes (at one time about 50% of the church was meeting in them, but I'm not sure how they are doing now). The church I went to in college incorporated a prayer meeting into the Sunday evening service each week. I think that was a good idea and it worked well for them.

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:00:00 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Going to be with the Lord's people is important. I am glad you are committed to those activities.

    It is important not to confuse going to Christian meetings with going to the temple as referred to in that Psalm.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

     
  • At Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:35:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Angie, the prayer meeting on Wednesday evening works quite well for our smaller church. I think most churches have it like ours - here in Montreal, that is. The only large churches you will find aroung here with a 1000 ppl will most likely be Pentecostals.

    Matthew, it's most important spending time with other Christians, especially when we all walk in unity. I think even the Lord rejoices to see such a sight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home