That I May Know Him

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. ~ 1 John 5:20 (KJV)

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? Jeremiah 23:29

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I don't understand

These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren. Proverbs 6:16

I don't know if this because it's bed time for me and that is why my brain is slowly shutting down, but I just noticed that I don't get this verse (which I've read over a hundred times).

Six
things the Lord hates - and seven are an abomination.
The 7 abominations are:

1. A proud look
2. A lying tongue
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. An heart that deviseth wicked imagination
5. Feet that be swift in running to mischief
6. A false witness
7. He that soweth discord among brethren

So if all seven are an abomination, then obviously God hates all seven of them, righ? What I don't get is why does Solomon mention that God hates six of them. They all sound terrible. Wouldn't God hate all seven of them. Is there a difference between an abomination unto God and something He just hates? This makes me wonder. Which are the six that He hates??? And why leave the other out????

I hope I have not confused anybody and that this does not end up to be some stupid silly question. Either way, I am going to bed soon and wish to meet everybody in dreamland.

16 Comments:

  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:38:00 AM, Blogger Revelation 2:17 said…

    basically it's that he hates the first 6 and considers the seventh one an abomination.

    As to what the difference is to God between something he hates and something he considers an abomination... well I don't know exactly, so I better not speak

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:01:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Oh, oops, thanks, Rev. When I read it, I didn't take it that he's mentioning the 7th one an abomination. I understood that he mentions all 7 an abomination.

    That does make sense though. Thanks!

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:18:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    I have heard that it was a literary device. The same kind of thing appears several times in Proverbs 30, too, using 3, yea, 4.

    Proverbs 30:15-16
    The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough:
    The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.

    Proverbs 30:18-19
    There be three things which are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not:
    The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid.

    Proverbs 30:21-23
    For three things the earth is disquieted, and for four which it cannot bear:
    For a servant when he reigneth; and a fool when he is filled with meat;
    For an odious woman when she is married; and an handmaid that is heir to her mistress.

    Proverbs 30:29-31
    There be three things which go well, yea, four are comely in going:
    A lion which is strongest among beasts, and turneth not away for any;
    A greyhound; an he goat also; and a king, against whom there is no rising up.

    Then there is Job 5:19 - He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee.

    I would consider what God hates and what God considers to be an abomination the same thing, as saying not, It is enough, is the same as never being satisfied.

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    By the way, I like the font that size. Much easier to read!

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    That's great, Angie. Thanks for that.

    Yeh, I like the big font size also. But I will add some colour to my posts again! Big and clourful :)

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    I agree, this is just a peculiarity of Hebrew literature.

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    Ok, thanks Matthew.

    I guess I scratch my poor head a little too much.

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:39:00 PM, Blogger Consecrated said…

    I wish Carey would change the font on her blog too. I find it very hard to read. So I just skip and read only the comments.

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:29:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    We're all going to have weak and bad eyes due to blogging!

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:31:00 PM, Blogger Carey said…

    Oh dear! I'll change it right away!

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:37:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    oh, I didn't mean it due to your blog, I just meand due to blogging in general.

    Computers are not good for the eyes, especially when they are already weak.

     
  • At Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:37:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Ah, yes, computers have made my astigmatism a little bit worse over the past few years, but they are nearly impossible to avoid, and right now avoiding computers is the last thing I want to do!

     
  • At Friday, May 12, 2006 8:56:00 AM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    I'm myopec, so I have to sit real close to the computer to see well.

    Can't be good!

     
  • At Saturday, May 13, 2006 6:02:00 PM, Blogger Carey said…

    My eyes are worse than my mom's... and she's 55! That's scary. I'm half-blind (literally) without some sort of visual aid.

     
  • At Saturday, May 13, 2006 7:58:00 PM, Blogger Redeemed said…

    lol, too funny. I'm just as blind.

    Ever said hi to someone from far away thinking it's your friend, and as it turns out, it's a really old man? Oh yes, it's happened to me a few times :)

     
  • At Saturday, May 20, 2006 4:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home